I was feeling much more zen this afternoon. Tonight I am feeling angry. While I am extremely sympathetic to those who are suffering due to ongoing wars, I feel a sense of frustration. I have always tried to be a person with an open mind, willing to expand my boundaries and hear other viewpoints. But I've been reading shit lately that makes my blood boil.
Whenever there is a conflict between two or more countries it always seems to boil down to this: If the US tries to step in we are bastards of the world, arrogant as always, going where we have no business being. If the US stands back we are allowing the killing to go on, we have blood on our hands. What the fuck does the world want from us? We can't control every damn thing that goes on in the world. Really. We can barely keep up with the crap going on here.
Many piss on our culture, our country, our people. If you don't like us, fine. Don't wear our clothing, watch or listen to our entertainment, use our technology, take our medicines, walk on our soil, eat our food, interact with our people. I love my country and am proud to be an American. Despite what many foreigners seem to think of us, the majority of us are good, compassionate, hard-working people just trying to live our lives. We are not blood-thirsty, power-hungry xenophobes looking for genocide.
Our dumb-ass president has already gotten us into two wars. Tens of thousands of civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq have died and been injured. Thousands of our countrymen have died. Many more have been maimed and psychologically scarred for life. We have no business getting into another war. Our resources are already stretched quite thin.
I am all for the US government pressuring both sides to give up arms and begin talking to one another. But we are NOT responsible for what is going on. We did not start this particular war. If the world wants to point fingers for what's going down now, take a good long look at Hezbollah and Israel. No one else. Lebanon may be the innocent victim caught up in the crossfire but the US is not the one pulling the trigger.
MiA's ShAkEn NoT StiRReD BLoG
5 years ago
18 comments:
Bravo! Well said!
I agree 100%. Let's keep US soldiers/young men out of it. Its a non-ending war.
jane, first of all , I would like to tell you that yeah the people everywhere(at least from those i know) are quite angry fom america, but not the citizens. People are angry from the american policy and the presidents who come over and over and i am sure many of you may not agree about many of what they did.
For myself, i have some relatives and some friends live there who had the American nationality long time ago.
Back to what you say, the US is not standing neutral, they are indeed supporting violence in their favour and ISrael's favor. I wish if America would step away from the ME affairs seriously step back, and leave us alone. No support for israel and no further invasions and leave iraq and afghanistan and the whole ME alone.
In lebanon and Israel 's case in particular, America and England are supporting Israel in their speaches and not supporting the UN for ceasing the fire. Saying that Israel should defend getting back their two soldies. And Hezbollah asked to release in trade their people and the palestines from their prisons? SO is Arab blood cheaper ?
YOu know what hurts me the most, Not all the war thing. I get hurt when i see the UN and HWR and many organizations that are suppose to stand for civilians' affairs and the abuse that iraqis had in their prisons .... and yet nothing happens ..still the war is on, and the people are awfully abused and tortured as if these organization were created to make speaches and that is it.
Roora,
But it is the way people are speaking that is the problem. It is not the US that started this war. It is not the US that supports this war. I'm not going to defend GW Bush or any damn thing he's said but if people have a problem they should call him out by name, not just blanket it with "The US." I don't know of a single person here that supports what is happening in Lebanon. If the ME wants to be angry then be angry at the parties that are truly involved. When do Hezbollah and Israel get their share of the blame? Why is it so difficult for some people to realize that those groups are the ones who ought to take responsiblity for the deaths of innocent Lebanese? Hezbollah should not have taken the Israeli soldiers. Israel should not have begun bombing Lebanon. If you take that out of the equation this would not be happening right now.
What would the world have us do? Start bombing Israel? It's not going to happen. Israel is one of the few friends the US government has in the ME and it will not alienate them. Whether one agrees with the policy or not that is how it is. And despite what some may think Israel is not the puppet of the US government. They will do what they want to do, no matter what we say.
jane, i understand from where your anger comes, but unfortunately, even this particular case , US or the american president is not letting it alone. He is indeed supporting Israel fo completing the war and defending their situataion, more than that they are supplying them with weapons and rockets and laser bombs.
and no the world doesnt expect that US to bomb israel (not expected) but at least not aiding them and to stop supporting them in this war. And not to stand against ceasing the fire in lebanon.
With all due respect Roora, I don't believe you can understand where my anger comes from. No hard feelings between you and I but I don't think anyone besides an American can know where I am coming from. No other country in the world has been held accountable for every ill, every trouble the way we have. The world blames us everytime there is any problem. Somehow it is the fault of the US. It's turning me into an angry American. Myself, along with all of my friends and family signed the recent petition to save the Lebanese civilians. I know we weren't the only ones either. Where is the recognition for that? And I would like to ask if you really believe that if the US government told Israel it should stop bombing Lebanon it would stop? Do you truly believe GW Bush has any real influence? I sure don't. Should we be supporting Hezbollah's kidnapping instead? Should we support their act of aggresion? When will people take responsibility for their own actions and live up to the consequences? Why are you ignoring Hezbollah's part in this slaughter? Syria? Iran? Where is the mention of the IDF? What of the lack of condemnation towards Israel in other Arab countries? Where is the voice there?
You surely know of the stories of abuse and murder committed by US soldiers. We have enough trouble controlling the behavior of our own troops. Does the world think we are so powerful that we can control the actions of another country's military? It is laughable to me.
I should hope that my government will not be so foolish as to repeat mistakes from the past. Every time we get involved, we arm one group, we train their army, they end up turning against us and killing our people.
I am sick of the prejudice, the bias, the unfairness. I want this war to end. I want the Lebanese to regain their country. I want the world to leave the US out of it for a change. I want peace.
Again Roora I have no bad feelings toward you--I just strongly disagree with your blame of the US.
jane, i think this is the first time i comment here, (not sure) anyway, with all due respect to your anger and feelings, i admit, it is difficult sometimes to know how the other is feeling if not literally in their shoes.
but please do the same.... undestand the anger that others are feeling
as roora said, the US government (not the citizens) is called upon by israel to RUSH A BOMB DELIVERY!
they know where these bombs are gonna hit aren' they? then they are actively helping them , am I not correct?
even verbal support to them aids in their cause. olmert in addressing his people uses that to support his situation :The world supports us" he says
and beleive me words can hurt.
I am not against american citizens per se, my sister in law is american and so my so beloved nephews who are jumping around me as i type right now are american too, but your governemt... I am sorry they are different
log on to cnn.com , blog 360 by anderson cooper and read the comments there. all or mostly by americans, and see how many are all for what ISRael is doing. one actually holds all arabs and muslims responsible for 9 11. he says something like: what about 300 deaths, when we had 3000 killed a few years ago.
is this payback?
I want to tell you that you succeeded "to be a person with an open mind" and you succeeded "to expand [your] boundaries and hear other viewpoints." Look at your friend blogs, they are from all around the world especially from Middle East! You are the only American in my blog list. Of course, you and I, will never agree on everything, but at the same time we agree on many things and we respect the differences between us.
When it comes to the American civilization, most of my books are made in USA, my laptop is an IBM (made in China though :P), my blog is in American English, most of my favorite movies are American ones, I prefer to shop my stuff through Amazon, etc. This shows how much I and many others are fond of the American civilization and I will never bear any bad feelings towards the people of the USA.
Unfortunately, the US government interferes way too much in the affairs of other countries. For a very short list, I am only going to refer you to this page by Michael Moore.
When it comes to Israel, the US government supports Israel through non-stop imaginary funds, US government supports Israel with the latest weapons and the US media covers the blood on Israel's hands. I am using the term "US government" instead of "G W Bush" because the US foreign policy never changed with the change of the US presidents!! I cannot know whether Israel is the pet of USA or if the USA is being used by Israel.
Since I started blogging, almost 2 years ago, I always avoided both religious and political posts (except for 3 political posts after the assassination of the Lebanese prime minister in Feb. 14, 2005). But now, it doesn't make sense for me to blog about my favorite movie when Israel is bombing my favorite places in Lebanon!! So the aim of my blog changed for the time being.
Do I blame US government? Well Israel is using American F16 to destroy Lebanon, and this applies to most of their weapons. Israel is using American funds to support their army (and economy) and Israel has the "green light" to do as it pleases in Lebanon! Destroying Hezbollah? I only see our bridges and infrastructure destroyed when Hezbollah is almost intact. American media is picturing this as the war of Hezbollah against Israel while the Israeli warplanes are killing our civilians. So yes, I will blame the US government.
Sorry for my long comment. I hope peace prevails soon. Bye
I have decided to end my contribution to this discussion after this post as I find that my point is being missed and that my frustration is growing. I do not want to grow ill feelings toward any nation or peoples. But before I can let this go I have a few questions.
1. Roora and Doshar, what are your countries doing to help Lebanon? Which side have they taken? Or is it sitting silently while your brothers and sisters suffer? Do they have no influence in this at all?
2. Perhaps Israel does use American made weapons. I honestly cannot confirm or deny it. But where does Hezbollah get theirs? Do they buy them from Toys 'R' Us? Who has trained their guerilla fighters and what nationality are they? Do those people not deserve to be held accountable?
3. Why is it the responsiblity of the US to control Israel? Why is it not the responsibility of the citizens of the ME to put this fire out?
I believe the US is staying out of this as much as it can, considering Israel is an "ally". We have not and will most likely not send troops. For the US that's pretty damn good.
Again, I'm going to end my words on this subject. I don't want to be the angry, bitter American that I am beginning to see and I don't want to lose the internet friendships that I have made here over the viciousness and brutality of others. You all can feel free to continue commenting as you like, but I have to stop myself now.
I've been reading the conversation quietly. Jane thanks for opening up a forum where people can talk about the differences in a respectful manner. I know you are feeling frustrated by the conversation but its really helping me understand both sides of the debate. I agree with the points that the ME bloggers say howver your point holds true Jane. What is Egypt, Oman, Jordan, etc. etc. doing? I for one don't see anything but there may be... I'd love to know what it is. America can't be the only one to be pointed a finger at. Its easir to shovel off responsibility...
dear Jane
and Aisha I guess as well
you asked What are we middle easterns doing for lebanon?
you are absolutely right. we are not doing what we should to help and aid lebanon brothers and sisters,.. in Islam if not by Arab blood. I am ashamed of our governmets for their passive attitudes, and if a lebanese comes out and calls us cowards.. hypocrites.. corrupt whatever they give.. i will take willingly because we deserve it.
indeed I do admit our grave misdoing by doing nothing. I pray to God Alot every day for his forgiveness and am scared of the day He might ask me what did I do to stop this... it is not my job to make things happen, but it is my job to try.
all of us here in egypt and in alot of ME countries are boiling in our skin day and night and dying to do someting... really do something.. not just give money or aid...we all feel so helpless it is tearing us apart...
Doshar wow. thanks for sharing. I have a question for you, what exactly is the media in your country reporting about it all? Is the thought of helping our brothers and sisters even a topic openfor public debate as far as on the government level?
the media is reporting it all... now almost everyone has access to satellite TV, so my basic sources are BBC, CNN and gezeera, both on tv and on the net... so the media cannot really change much, although the tone is milder than we feel. it does not show how angry we really are. the governmet is trying to have a very delicate balance of not upsetting the united states on one hand, and not driving the people beserk here doing that.
the opposing papers however have their say freely... and it is quite normal and ok for us to talk in public about this. alot of protestors have already protested against isreal , the bombings and indeed the government's passivity in this situation.
however almost everyone gets an offer to donate money for lebanon through different channels(I guess request is the more appropriate word, but so desparate we are to help that it is as much for us as it is for them), and i do not think anyone would not give if they can
Jane,
I really hope one day will come when u and all the non Arabs in the US would really come to understand why the Middle Easterns are always pointing fingers of accusations to the United States government. It is definitely not to all Americans, but to some, yes, and of course to the government which has always been in support of israel no matter what they do.
It is nothing new Jane and what we know for sure is through out history your media has not been informing your people of the true picture. We do not have pictures, but we live realities. the US interferes in our issues more than you can imagine, more than anyone can tolerate, but unfortunately, we are headed by people not worthy of being heads of our countries, but are co-presidents manipulated by The United States government and the big boss, namely the president of the US.
I also wanted to comment about your question regarding what our countries are doing to help Lebanon. Well unfortunately almost all our heads of states, Egypt, Jordan, KSA, and some others, are what I described earlier.
They have no say, U.S president says do this, they do this, says don't dare do that, they dare not do. Now who really bears the consequences? Us, the people.
However, the people are boiling. Not just protesting, but demanding governments to allow them to go fight along side and even die to save the Lebanese, and before them, the Palestinians, Iraqis and Afghanis.. Our people are held back against their wills. If it were up to the citizens this would not have been the case. Have you seen any of the protests going on for the past years, since the war on Afghanistan? Iraq? And many for Palestine even before that? Jane none of us are taking this personal with you I assure you of that, but sorry to say, if you are frustrated believe me each one of us is way beyond this frustration. Please do not get upset from any of us, but we are just trying to explain to you and others what the truth is. It may be upsetting but it is true. Too much interference from the United States government has been going on for years, too much back up for israel, and not just now, but has been going on for years.
United Nations Resolution 1559!
Enough said!
I am really, really, really fed up with Muslims in general (foreign and domestic!) What is it that seemingly educated, caring, moderate, Muslims don't get! Leave Israel and the Jewish people the #!@$ alone!
Why is it that "normal" Muslims piss on the UN, US, and the World community when it comes to f#$$ing with Israel? ... Islamic pettiness and HATE or perhaps the Valhala or romantic Avalon of Palestine. Like the trenches of the Great War, surely no Valhala, no Avalon, no enduring good, of romantic ideal can be found in death!
If you really, really want to do something for your muslim brothers and sisters, then join the rest of the planet and demand the end of Muslim hate, terror, and bloodshed! PERIOD!!!
OH how I wish a Palestinian leader of MLK, Gandhi's or Mandela's stature would lead the Palestinians to peace and prosperity. OH! how I trully wish the much talked about "religion of love" could be seen!
Frankly I am past it! I understand that one day soon, the West will wake up, and we will be forced to war (real WAR) against the ME foreign and domestic.
There will be blame and fault enough ...... and only the blood and flesh of millions will quench the burning fire of Muslim hate, and the end of the unromantic ideal of Jihad will be seen by Islamic followers.
If only we knew, if only we where told, if only we had to do it all over again! IF ONLY ... If only.
Like a dark storm gathering just over the horizon, we will all surely be drenched before, we, as individuals will see PEACE! Those of us left, those of us to pick up the pieces and memorialize the dead on great granite stones, in shattered boken cities. If only ......
Muslim hate? Emory I really do not understand your logic. First of all, concerning israelis, to me they are not representatives of all Jews and these are not my own words or feelings. Authentic Jews do not accept the state of israel and they do not accept Zionism. Nor would any one of sound mind accept them. How could a state be built by stealing, they stole this land from it’s rightful owners. How did this state come to being to begin with? By FORCE AND BLOODSHED, built on the account of other people’s lives, taken by weapons and force.
Can you please explain to me what you mean exactly by Muslim hate and why. Now about israel and the united states, for most of us they are but one entity to a great extent. American government has always been backing Zionism, nothing new… Now the whole world is acknowledging this fact…
It is not the Muslims who are blood thirsty. If you want, go take a look at this www.fromisraeltolebanon.info and tell me who is blood thirsty, and tell me if a whole country’s destruction is fair enough for the sake of two individuals no matter what. Tell me if one child should die the way those children and thousands before them died.. and do not tell me Hizb Allah started it because israel started it since 1948 and much earlier in other places.
Oh dear Dalulah have we not yet learned that an eye for an eye shall leave us all blind. Wars for women, land and just plain glory are not worth a single grain of salt.
Perhaps darkness is what we all need to appreciate the light. It seems so easy to point fingers, and recite grievences. In the end, beneath billowing clouds of dust, lies long ago buried, peaceful understanding.
It is my opinion that seathing Muslim hate is evident in the world. I think it is a hate of Israel, the West and all that those people who do not care for Islam. Mumbai, London, Bali, Madrid, and New York. A seathing hate not of governments, but of us who do not care to live in Islam. A hate of people, randomly murdered by Muslims.
I believe this and more to be true.
Domestic Muslims here in Raleigh, another most recently in Seattle, and those who attacked the WTC the first time, not to mention the Muslims who killed in London, are all products of hate.
I think hate is learned. To be learned it must be taught. Again, we can differ on who does the teaching, but surely the Spaniards, Indonesians, Britons, Americans, and Indians did not teach Muslim hate. These people are simply the target of it. Like so many innocents, just a random target of venting hate.
So yes! I do believe that Muslim hate is evident, if not yet pandemic in our world. Surely hate will grow if not doused and replaced with "the better angels of our nature".
Do children deserve to die? Who's children. Israeli children, Lebonese children, the children in Mumbai or Balinese children. American, Briton, Iraqi, Spanish, Palestinian?
Why is that children are held in such higher regard? Is it because they have not yet been taught hate? Or is it that we are destroying the one fragile thing that gives each human hope.
The children of our world, are the future of our world. Let us teach our children well. Let us not recite an endless string of greivences to them, clouding them, cloaking them, in the filth of War and the ideology of hate.
As for me, I do not hate muslims. I do despise their methods, their goals, their terror and their hate of me. I am desensitized by them. I am sadened that educated, normal, Muslims do not stand up and shout loudly fro the end of hate in their own Muslim community.
I am actually just fed up, past it. I was once fairly sympathetic to Palestine, today am am perhaps the worst of all things ... Ambivalent.
Anyhooo ...... I hope your pregnancy goes well, and our children see a brighter world, a greener day, and a peaceful way through life.
I prefer this link to the others posted here. It gives me hint of hope that there are Muslims that stand against hate. .... all hate. All be they few and far between.
http://www.yusufislam.org.uk/beslan.shtml
Post a Comment