It's when the ego attaches to one's ideas as one's identity that rigidity, closed-mindedness, and righteousness are likely to result. If you are identified with you beliefs, anything new that comes along is likely to bump into a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your head. That's because ideas that contradict our self-image throw off our equilibrium and disturb the sense of who we are. As a result we feel personally attacked, afraid, defensive, critical, rigid, and angry when people disagree with our beeliefs.
Charlotte Kasl, If the Buddha got stuck
MiA's ShAkEn NoT StiRReD BLoG
5 years ago
7 comments:
Hey! That's good! It's one of those things that so obvious but you never realize it till someone says it.
Very true Jane, and living "Away from Home" taught me to try removing this "Do no Disturb" sign and try accepting ideas which are different from yours. I admit, sometimes it is hard to give away the sign, but still one has to try...
I don't mean to sound Mr. Know it all, but that is true, it has happened to me, till i realized it was not right. We do not necessarily have to "accept or change" but we must be open to other beliefs and even be open to know more about them. There is nothing wrong in knowing or exploring, but i believe what is wrong is to always shut ourselves out and be close minded.
We must also learn to accept people the way they are. And we should not judge people according to their beliefs. However, there are some beliefs that are some what alarmin and disturbin too Jane. Certain cults and religious (man made) practices do inflict harm on others and are very disrespectful, such as Satan worshiping for instance.
I gave an example of one, and i do know there are many different beliefs out there, and believe me some are pretty alarming and annoying to accept.
Some governments do take actions against some people following certain cults or beliefs, because they cause chaos. Here in Egypt there was a time when Satan worshipping was a "trend" very alarming. The government did take action. Parents were very alarmed at the cults practiced. The entire idea was totally unacceptable and ridiculous (I also thought so).
I hope i did not go off topic :-)
Nicely put. As one lives a longer life, they learn more, and they see how little they really know. I used to be resolute in what I thought - not opening my mind to others because I knew I was so right. Now, after being personally corrected a million times, I take life passive and with an open palette. So much to learn, such little time.
There is another name for this "condition" it is sometimes called cognitive dissonance. Same basic idea, if you run into ideas that go against what you've been taught or feel confident in knowing.....you have a tendency to automatically dismiss them or find a way to "defang" them so they don't mess up what you already believe about the world.
Keeping an open mind is a good idea and you should be willing to try new things no matter how strange. But that also doesn't mean everything is relative.....if you are exposed to something that makes you truly uncomfortable, etc. Then you can back away if you want.
That's what I love about this author. Most of the ideas in her books are just plain common sense that one needs to be reminded of or shown. She's quite a good writer and her books are quick reads.
As for being too open, my motto is "keep an open, but not a gaping mind." I do my best to see all points of view but that does not mean I have to agree with, endorse, or accept them
Great Post.
If your green your growing. when you stop growing you begin to die.
It is best to continue searching.
I caught a segment on NPR last week about the ages of individuals who made the most scientific impacts in history. Generally all the major scientific acheivements where made by individuals in their twenties. Einstien, Gates, Watson & Crick, Darwin, Hubbel the list went on and on.
They had not reached that entrenchment of views that precludes growth and other possibilities.
Post a Comment