3.20.2006

In defense of crazy old Pat...

The other day I received a comment from someone regarding my post about Pat Robertson's most recent comments about Islam. Pat says, and I quote, "The goal of Islam, ladies and gentlemen, whether you like it or not, is world domination...Islam is not a religion of peace...radical Muslims are satanic."

This is the comment posted:

And yet there are verses in the koran that explicitly command or condone violence and domination.
If Islam is so peaceful,why was there widespread rioting and killing because a Danish newspaper printed some inane cartoons?
Pat Robertson obviously does not always use tact or restraint when sharing his thoughts and opinions,but he understands history and current events better than most Americans.His ministry also helps a lot of needy people around the world,including the victims of Katrina and the Asian Tsunami.

By Anonymous


As I am no scholar in Islam there is not much I can say in rebuttal. However I would ask that the commentor specifically quote which passages he/she is referring to. And I invite my Muslim friends to respond to this.

4 comments:

Emory Mayne said...

I thought you just got rid of your headache......

John said...

A week or so ago, Juan Cole collected several Quran quotes and verses on peace.

I know even less about the Quran than the Bible, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Quran, like the Bible, could be interpreted in a number of ways in order justify almost any position. So if you want peace you will find it, and if you want war you will find that too.

Aisha said...

Obviously, i disagree with pat. but I think John said it well.

Dalulla said...

John,
First of all I would like to thank you for providing the link above.

I would just like to draw your attention to something, The Quraan does not by any means justify or call for violence. Only in cases of self defense are armaments to be lifted against perpetrators or those initiating violence. Killing is abhored by Allah. Even war has rules and extremely strict ones too. Moslems are not to kill the elderly, women or children. Or to kill those who are defensless.

Many many laws and regulations to war in Islam.

All worldly issues have been covered up in deapth by the Quraan and by Prophet Muhammed. Everything has guidlines. For the Moslems it is the catalogue of life.