4.13.2006

File this one under "DUH!!!"

Researcher: Premature Babies Feel Pain

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A researcher at Arkansas Children's Hospital has submitted findings of a study that suggests premature babies can consciously feel pain instead of reacting to it by reflex...The accepted theory is that premature babies react to pain through reflex, but do not actually perceive pain beyond their nerve fibers or spinal cord or in the highest sensory center of the brain, he said...Nurses from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit then drew blood from the babies' veins, which resulted in an increase in blood flow to the sensory cortex. That increase suggested the babies felt pain at the highest sensory level of the brain, Anand said.

4 comments:

Emory Mayne said...

I have a high tolerance for pain, I didn't wimper when I got my tail docked and ears done.......

Maybe the Dr Mengele Research Institute could do another study preemies. I can't imagine anyone spending their lives researching baby pain.

Aisha said...

indeed.

Mia said...

and they needed a study for this? I could've had my mom send them all the home movies they shot of me while in the preemie ward. Then they could've seen preemies feel too. what a waste of money.

ASH said...

What kind of research is this?? We are the most sophisticated creature on this planet (although with this study and other events lately I'm beginning to wonder) and they didn't think premature babies could feel pain?? Why don't we sponsor a study to find out if researchers feel pain when jabbed with needles?