9.04.2006

'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin Killed by Stingray


The first time my best friend and I ever saw this man on tv, we came up with a nickname for him. It's not very catchy but it is appropriate. Good-bye, Fucking Crazy Australian.

Sept. 4, 2006 — Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam near one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Discovery News

On a more personal note, I'd also like to say good-bye to Cary. You always treated me like your own daughter, even taking me on family vacations. You always made me feel welcome. Although I hadn't seen you in years, I never forgot you. I'm sorry I didn't keep in touch with you and your family and I am so sorry for their loss. You were too young to die. I hope you are feeling better now, wherever you are.

6 comments:

Aisha said...

I couldn't believe he died. I mean.. I guess thats the risk you take but still... part of you think its all staged. I guess not.

I'm sorry that Cary passed away. I too hope they are in a bette rplace

lifeflaw said...

That's sad! I always enjoyed his shows. :(

May his soul rest in peace.

Just Jane said...

Aisha,
Thanks for your thoughts. Cary's death hit me much harder than I expected. I went to the memorial this afternoon. A million memories are going through my mind at this moment....

While I feel sadness for the family of Steve Irwin, I don't much feel his death was an accident. He was very entertaining and his tv show was educational. However, I have a deep belief that people must respect wild animals and never ever forget that they are wild, no matter how tame they may seem. It was really only a matter of time before something like this happened. Those with him say he was not being reckless or provoking the stingray but all the same he is now dead. He left behind two young children and a young widow. It's a shame but taking the risks he took it was inevitable.

Aisha said...

Sounds like it was a sudden death. That is the worst to wrap your mind around. I dont know whats better though. To suffer through a grueling illness, or to go in a flash. I guess both are difficult to come to terms with in their own ways.

Thinking of you

Just Jane said...

Thanks for your thoughts, hon. I do appreciate it. I was told by the family that Cary had been suffering greatly for the past few years--an amputation, two transplants...things just went downhill and Cary was ready to let go of the suffering to see what the next life held in store. I still am in shock and still feeling emotions I didn't know I would feel. Death may bring peace to those who pass on but it sure brings turmoil to those left behind.

LouLou said...

Sorry for your loss Jane. I will pray for Cary.

I will miss Steve Irwin a lot. Loved to watch Animal Planet because of him. And he was so vivacious, such a larger-than-life character. His obvious respect for life and for all creatures great and small was an inspiration. I hope he rests in peace.