9.20.2006

Feelin' the love...

You are all so sweet. I have recovered fully from my nerve in neck problem without doctors or drugs. I have been better for a few days but have been caught up in my latest obsession, decluttering and organizing my home. This will be a shocking admission, I'm certain. I am not tidy. Clean, yes. Together and tidy, not so much. I am forever losing important papers, my driver's license, etc. I put something down and it is as if it disappears. It doesn't help that I am also terribly forgetful, partly due to my meds, partly because I always have been. I always forget one thing wherever I go. It never fails. But I am ready to turn over a new leaf. I'm tired of losing things and I'm tired of annoying Jd. I've borrowed several home organizing books from the library for ideas and helpful tips. I've made a little progress. Time will tell if it sticks.

Some random thoughts now.

1. Does it strike any other Americans as odd that gas prices are suddenly dropping so drastically? Hmmm....I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that some big elections are coming up in November. Sure. Right. It's just a coincidence. They must think we are idiots. I have to say that I am pleased that all but one of the candidates I voted for won the recent primary election. Now if I can only convince Jd to vote...He says he served his country for four years, he has the right to choose not to vote. I can't believe I ended up with someone so politically apathetic.

2. I keep seeing this commercial on tv for "New Orleans-style" rice dishes. It's all Mardi Gras and jazz band, "have a taste of New Orleans". I told Jd if they really want a taste of New Orleans they ought to show folks living in flood damaged homes full of mold, without access to running water, electricity, medical care and food. The homicide and suicide rate in New Orleans is going through the roof but nobody seems to care anymore. We've moved on, it's old boring news now. So what if thousands are still homeless and destitute? Have some rice!

3. There's a woman in my neighborhood we call "Meth Mom". Everytime we see her she is always tweaked and dragging two somewhat neglected kids behind her. For those who are lucky enough not to know and see this shit, Meth is one nasty drug. Extremely addictive and extremely destructive. It's made from decongestant, antifreeze, and plenty of other deadly, unsavory ingrediants. Users are sometimes called "tweakers" because when using, they always twitch and fidget. Meth also REALLY rots teeth. Anyways, her older kid goes to the same school as my son. I went to pick him up from school the other day and there she was with her younger one. The kid was in pajamas and barefoot, hair uncombed. It was fifty degrees and windy. Meth mom was in flip-flops, smoking a cigarette and PREGNANT. I feel for her kids...it's not their fault but they are definately paying the price. I want to help but what can I do? Call the cops or childrens' services because I suspect the mother is a meth addict? I don't have any proof, other than her tweaks,bad teeth and the fact that she looks like she hasn't eaten in a year. Yeah, I am willing to put money on it. But is my gut instinct enough to go on? Has anyone else ever been in this kind of position? What did you do? Would you do anything or just hold your tongue?

8 comments:

Aisha said...

Lovin that you're back and feeling better :)

Yeah the gas prices make me roll my eyes , I mean seriously, Brave New World?

Mia said...

1.Re: Absentmindedness: Join the club! When you’re done with those books pass them on this way. I am forever misplacing and forgetting things. Whenever I leave the house my mom runs off a checklist for me…” Mia phone, metrocard, wallet, id in wallet, school id, money, bank card etc etc?” I always say yea and 3 out of 5 times still manage to forget something…lol


2.Gas Prices: What an election year? Surely you’re not suggesting a connection to dropping gas prices and currying votes are you Jane? Why really! The politicos would never everrrr stoop so low.

3.Those Zattaran Rice commercials: I hate those damn corny commercials with a passion. “Wooo hooo mister throw me something mister throw me something.” I always think to myself yeah I’ll throw you something alright. Darned crappy rice in a box. If they want to help they should add a trailer to the end of the commercial calling for donations to the survivors because they still need our help.


4.Meth Mom: Call children’s services Jane for the kids sake for the baby’s sake. Don't wait another day. You don’t have to leave your name or anything. They do accept anonymous caller tips. Better safe than sorry. The paper is full of stories of neighbors with regrets after a kid shows up dead or abused. Let’s say shes not a tweaker she still sounds like she needs help and children’s services will help her.

I am glad your neck is feeling better now don’t over do it in a cleaning frenzy!

Fostermama said...

Jane-

So glad you are feeling better! =)

I feel your pain on the clean but not tidy. I have actually seen things disapear before my very eyes. My hubby is a patient man.

It is best that I not comment on gas prices or I might loose what is left of my ever loving mind!

I also can not get my hubby to vote. He also served 4 years in the millitary. I know it is his right not to, but for the love of pete!

As for Meth Mom. PLEASE CALL SOMEONE! Tell the teacher. Tell the principal. Tell the school nurse. If you have a child welfare hotline, call them. I know you have little evidence, but what you saw today is neglect. If she is that willing to neglect in public, Lord only knows what she does behind closed doors.

I speak from experience as a CASA for the last 5 years. More kids end up in the care of the state because of Meth for any other reason. These kids need help. Please call. Even if you don't think you know enough. You don't have to make the decision. Just tell someone so the powers that be will look harder. And see what happens behind those closed doors.

Okay, stepping off the soapbox now.
Thanks for letting me have my two cents.

Puppy said...

Jane,

Glad to hear you are back.

Its hard to say something about point 3. Do how your heart tells you, may be help them at the beggining somehow, and when u know better you will know what to do.

I know she might be not a good mother, but she is their mother, so calling for the children care cant be a good idea. but may be it is.... Its hard to decide.

Um Naief said...

honestly, i'd call social services on this woman. no, you don't have proof that she's hitting the pipe, but... her kids aren't being cared for properly and that's enough of a reason, i think. to have your child in pajamas and such w/ that weather and the other things that you've seen... i'd call. it won't hurt and you can stay anonymous.

gas prices... doesn't surprise me and yeah... they politicians prob think all are idiots. funny how they're high on minute and low the next. where is the money going??!!!

meth is a terrible drug. i'm starting to wonder if it isn't as addictive as heroin. i've seen some shows on it... and to think that this lady is pregnant and still doing it.. well, it makes me sick.

i'm glad you're feeling better. i go thru spurts like you w/ cleaning and organizing. i'm very clean but not a good organizer until i just get sick of it.

John said...

It's already been said, but I'll join the chorus. Call CPS on "Meth Mom" - they will investigate and find out what is really going on. If she's not using, CPS can give her the help she needs to get her act together, and if she is using, they can get the kids away from her before she does permanent harm to them. (My sister was a childcare social worker for several years, and this is the advice she would give)

Emory Mayne said...

Election and gas prices .... really! next thing you know we will be building a fence across the southern border ... oh wait!
---------------

New Orleans rice ..... it proberbly should be packaged in a UN box for all the good the US has done for those citizens. I am not just slamming Bush here .... Nagin is just as lousy! Disgraceful!

------------------------

I think John's comment hit the nail on the head.

Social Services are not there to seperate mothers and children, they are there to help. Sure they could if deemed so a terrrible situation, but for the most part that is their option of last resort.

This Mom needs help, her children need help! Help them! I wouldn't hesitate to call. Look if you are wrong so what, no harm no foul. If you are right, and don't do anything about it then shame on you, and everyone one of us that would turn a blind eye! There is too much turning away in this world. Instinct may not be 100% accurate 100% of the time, but I am a believer in instinct.

Just Jane said...

I appreciate the helpful advice. Unfortunately, the family seems to have moved. Jd went past their home and it was empty. The older child still attends the same school. The last two times I saw Meth Mom and her younger child both looked clean and were dressed appropriately. I'm going to keep an eye out and if I see one more suspcious thing I've decided to call Children's Services. Hopefully it won't come to that.