Why is it so acceptable to America-bash? If an American were to desparage another culture or country, RACIST IMPERIALIST CAPITALIST PIG HOW DARE YOU!!! Yet it seems many non-Americans find it totally ethical to call us assholes, ignorant, mindless, what have you. I cannot think of one American that I have ever known in my life that would insult another country or culture as quickly and as easily and as thoughtlessly as I read and hear us insulted, my friends. While it is wrong for US to judge a society or country based on a few people or incidents or their government, it is totally okay for them to judge us on any criteria they see fit. Why is that? Oh, so it is alright for you to decide what kind of person I am or what I believe because of where I live, because we are all alike. I see. And who has the small mind? Who is the racist? Who is the xenophobe?
Any foreign visitor who has spent any time here and met real Americans would know that we are compassionate, thoughtful, caring people. We should not be defined by our government's foreign policy or by the entertainment industry. I appreciate the many friends I have made overseas and in the US through this blogging experience. It is through you that I've learned that the US is not universally hated, that not everyone thinks we are all wealthy and arrogant and war-hungry. It is through you that I've learned that the Muslims I see on tv or read about in the papers do not represent you. You have the crazy folk just like we do and no one should be judged by their color or religion or their certifiably insane. When it comes down to it, we are pretty much the same. You have love affairs and heartaches and career worries and concern for your children. You are just trying to live your life, hoping for a better world. Just like us. Some may try to tell us that we are so different. You and I know we are not. Those who try to amplify minor differences are trying to keep us separate because they are insecure in their identities. They need it all to be black and white. Life isn't like that. It may be easier to think that way but it's not reality. The reality is that it's all different shades of grey. I don't believe in Jesus or God or Allah or Buddha but most of you do. And that's ok. I don't need to make you think as I do and you don't need to make me believe as you do. It's ok for us to be different. It's good. It makes life interesting. It's what makes life the adventure that it is. I wouldn't have it any other way. Why would anyone?
MiA's ShAkEn NoT StiRReD BLoG
5 years ago
7 comments:
I lived at both parts of world and comparatively I found americans better people than people I had back home.
I've been going through some crap where some people have taken some money and are not returning it as they should. And everyone I know who is an immigrant says "thank God you are in the US because at least here you can have some recourse to get it back". I am grateful to be in the US. There are things that need to be better, but no country is going to be perfect and I do believe that the good things that the US offers outweigh the areas that could be improved.
When I went overseas to Turkey, I remember talking to the vendors who said that after 9/11 americans stopped coming. they asked us to go and tell Americans that the Turkish poeple don't hate Americans, they hate the government. It seems to be the primary sentiment I've received from most people I've interacted with overseas. But yes there are crazy people who just fuel hatred both here in the US about others, and overseas about the US. Both are wrong. Its sad to do the "us" "them" tyep of mentality. Its easier for sure... but its not necessarily the right thing to do.
Sorry that was a bit long winded!
To use the words of the ‘hood it’s called “hating” let’s face it this is a great country over all despite our government’s flaws. Haters tend to belittle what they envy the most.
I agree with Aisha the times I have been traveled over seas people have expressed their admiration for America, Americans in general it’s our government they aren’t too thrilled with yet. I’ve had foreign tourists from France for example bad mouth my country while visiting here to which I always reply, “well wtf are you doing here then?” Freak it Jane they want to hate on my country feel free to do so because when all is said and done I’m proud to be an American and no amount of crap spewed can change that. Booya!
Merry Christmas, Jane
and HAPPY NEW YEAR
Wish you all the best in upcoming year!!!
You are totally right Jane, am a Muslim Egyptina girl, and i never thought of the American people as monsters or arrogant wealthy people, You can't judge a nation by it's government as you can't also judge muslims by a group of extremists, Now sorry but i have to say it, your president been promoting the word "Terrorism" and stereo-typing Muslims and Arabs as terrorists, and believe me it hurts more than to be precieved as arrogant to be precieved as a "Terrorist" , no one is allowed to judge people according to some groupes of lunatic people who took Islam as a slogan to their acts, they are "groups" not a government, people who die in Iraq every day and in Afghanistan aren't terrorists, they are humans who live and work and fall in love, and have kids, and dream of a career, and have a social life, which is totally destroyed and finished because they got terrorists within!! where are those terrorists after 3 years now?..it's really complicated how things are, it's not that we don't accept differences, in Islam it's mentioned that God created us in different colours ,Kinds,religions,and Diversity in Islam is a logicl accepted thing..but it's how the world is working,i can't judge you according to your country's policy and vice versa...
Finally we are all humans,despite colour, religion or country, and we have to accept the existence of each other...and i do so.
People 'America-bash' because they don't see the whole picture...the same way a number of Americans only see the story the media feeds them. That's the problem now...when people hear about a certain incident, previous recollections and impressions come into play and they start generalizing and bashing just about everyone that has about anything to do with what's fueling their rage. Hence whatever the US government does to piss off others, some take it out on the US in general.
I grew up with Americans and was lucky enough to learn at a young age that the US is the people…who are mostly peaceful loving citizens opposed to the government's wrongdoings; the US government comprises of (some good men) and those egocentric leaders who use the taxpayer’s money to fight their personal battles, often at the expense of young citizens in the lowest ranks.
I appreciate everyone's comments. It is good to hear that we are not universally despised. It is reassuring. Thank you.
Post a Comment