3.05.2007

10 Favorite Songs

Tagged by Tooners
I could put many more on this list but these are a few of my most beloved musical treats.

1. Overkill by Colin Hay
I feel this way all the time.

2. Fragile by Sting
Just lovely and smooth and sad.

3. Kon Kamenpe by Kalyi Jag
Kick-ass Romany/Gypsy music. This group moves something in my soul.

4. The Rishi Kesh Song by John Lennon
Raw and brilliant.

5. Sugar Rum Cherry by Duke Ellington
Just try and pretend you don't love this.

6. Black Steel by Tricky
Public Enemy cover and damn it's so deliciously good.

7. What'll I Do? by Mildred Bailey
One of the big-band era's best singers, shamefully neglected.

8. In the Pines by Nirvana
Heartaching rendition of a Doc Walsh bluegrass tune.

9. Rock in This Pocket by Suzanne Vega
One of my favorite chicks with a guitar.

10. Pump by the Sugarcubes
Dark, sensual classic by the Icelandic group.

I tag anyone who wants to do it. Let me know if you do so I can check out your list.

4 comments:

Um Naief said...

Girl, you have some good songs here and some that I've never heard. Very good taste in music. I love Romany/Gypsy music... I'll have to check out this tune.

Your list makes me remember tunes that I forget about. I also love Sting.... but forgot to add him to my list.

John said...

I love that Overkill song. It was really effective on an episode of Scrubs a few years back. Of course, I'm old enough to own the LP with the original version Hay sung with Men at Work. I'll diplomatically say they both have their good points.

Just Jane said...

Tooners,
I'm glad you liked my list. I've posted the songs so you can listen to them if you like. How could you forget Sting? I am in love with him.

John,
Actually, Scrubs is where I heard the acoustic version. Jd and I watch that show religiously. Truth be told, I don't like the original version. To me it sounds like it was always meant to be acoustic.

Mia said...

There's a couple on there that I love. Wow the sugar cubes! I'll have to give this one a shot.