3.21.2007

I have this friend, one that I go way back with. But we have a problem. Or at least I have a problem. She always says "we should get together and go out soon". I agree and set a date. She says she'll call and we'll confirm the plans. She never calls back. Or if she does it will be days later. And nine times out of ten when she does call it's because she needs a favor. Recently she called and asked for a BIG favor. For the first time I said no. I simply cannot do it. On the one hand I feel bad and want to help her out but I also feel used. The funny thing is she has often complained to me about a friend of hers that never calls when she says she will or blows off their plans. I have trouble biting my tongue. I'm getting pretty tired of it though. Truthfully we aren't terribly close but we do go back a long way. I'm wondering if it's worth it to have a confrontation or if I just ignore it and chalk it up to how it's going to be with her.

5 comments:

Perkunas said...

Don't feel guilty -- I guess that's my advice. Friendship can be very complicated and have lots of loose emotional ends.

I used to think I didn't have enough friends and I still feel a bit neglected and ignored so when people don't respond to my emails. I finally realized that I have all the love that I need in life, even if I don't have all the friends that I would like to have. I've had to learn to give myself all the love that I don't think I'm getting from friends and that's kind of a relief for me to not feel so needy so much the time. Might not be your issue but it certainly has been mine.

Emory Mayne said...

* hands Jane some chalk*

Mia said...

Babe friendships change and evolve some can withstand the passage of time and some can't. I recently went through the same thing you wrote about. I didn't bother talking with the person I just picked up my marbles and left the game.

Anonymous said...

Thats awful. I can understand what you must be feeling but hey cheer up. Get on with your life and enjoy yourself. If she cares, she will come back, or else just dont bother.
Drop into my blog on friendship Wishes for some cool stuffs.

Just Jane said...

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've decided that it isn't worth the hassle of a confrontation. We aren't very close and see each other rarely.
The strange part of this whole situation is that she has gone to some lengths to keep in contact with me over the years. Why she would bother to do so only to maintain such a shallow friendship I don't know.