6.07.2007

Am I ok?

Good question, Puppy. At certain times, yes, I am ok. Other times I am not. Death is such a strange thing. The other day I was feeling awful and lay down to rest. Out of nowhere I could smell her house, the wood floors, the incense she used to burn. It lasted for about ten minutes. It was odd and wonderful and sad. Her obituary was printed and it said she died peacefully. That isn't exactly the truth. Privately I was told she suffered greatly in her final hours. It was so bad that the family actually began to pray that she would die. It is of some comfort to find out that she was surrounded by the rest of her family and that they all had laid their hands on her as she passed away. The obituary was wrong about a few other things and failed to mention many of her loved ones (including myself) as her survivors. I don't really care though. I don't need the recognition from that. I had it from her. I am left with many wonderful memories. And many that make me laugh. Grandma told me I was her fresh-faced beauty because I never wore make-up. However, she once drove me to the drugstore and made me buy mascara, then told me I put it on incorrectly. Another of my favorites is the conversation we had when she asked if I planned to have a breast job since I nursed my kids. The day we smoked weed together and she told me she felt like she was floating. I told her that's why they call it getting high. Although I had smoked many times before she and I learned how to smoke from a bong together. She was one of a kind. I will be okay again, someday, but not yet. I'm still in shock I think. As you said, Puppy, the show must go on. She would not want me to fall to pieces. She would want for me to keep living and to enjoy every moment of it. So I'm going to try.

3 comments:

Puppy said...

"She would not want me to fall to pieces. She would want for me to keep living and to enjoy every moment of it. So I'm going to try" I hope god will help you with that, and if there smth i can do please let me know.

Hugs

Puppy.

Um Naief said...

It's difficult to know that someone suffered. But to know you are connecting to her thru smell and memories is a really wonderful thing.

Your grandmother sounds like she was an amazing, thoughtful, loving, and nurturing woman. I think she taught you some wonderful things about life.

Honestly, she sounds like she was such a hip grandma. So fun and crazy.... and allowed you to be a part of her world. You definitely have a treasure in your heart to have had that experience and feel that love.

I know these are only words... I've not experienced ths type of pain w/ death, except with animals, but I want to say that I hope your pain lifts and joy fills your heart very soon.

LouLou said...

I am very sorry for your loss Jane. I hope she's in peace and that you will find solace in your memories and be as she would have wished for you.