I lost one of my best friends today. It's strange how grief makes reality seem so unreal. It feels like time has stopped. I'm alone and I don't know what to do with my grief so I'll pour it out here. I don't want to be around anyone anyway.
You have been with me my whole life. You have been with me through girlfriends and boyfriends, heartaches and disappointments. I love you so much. Truthfully I love you more than almost anyone else. Whenever I felt like a failure, you were there to give me support and encouragement. When I felt like the world and the people around me were cold and harsh, you were there without judgement. You always treated me with kindness, love and compassion. I think I've learned more from you than from anyone else I've known. You were my teacher and my inspiration. I want to be just like you when I grow up. You were one of the finest human beings I've ever had the good fortune to know. God I hope you can hear these words. I can't stop crying but I know my tears are only for me. You suffered greatly these last few years and I'm trying to find consolation in your release from pain. Was St. Peter there with your banquet and the red carpet like you imagined? It's been raining and I think that even the sky is crying for your loss. The world has lost one of the best. I still have your incense and the smell always reminds me of being at your home. I hoped I'd be seeing you in a couple of months and we could drink our coffee and talk like we always did. Deep down I must have known because I didn't make the travel plans concrete. You were the only person who ever told me that they were proud of me. I hope I can keep making you proud. The pain is like waves. There will never be another like you. Remember when you sideswiped that mail truck? It still makes me laugh. I can't believe it was only a few weeks ago when we last spoke. The thought that I will never talk to you again breaks my heart. Will you be there for me when I die? I would love to see you again. Are you with Mike and Sam again? I hope so. I hope it is everything you hoped it would be on the other side. This is the trouble with being human and loving other people. Some day you have to say good-bye. I want you to know that you have influenced my life in such a positive direction. And I know I am not the only one. You took us in like strays and left us better off then before. I could always tell you anything. By the way, I hope you didn't keep any of the numerous letters I sent you. Especially not the last one. Those were just for you. I guess I'll never know about the one who stole your heart that you kept secret even from me. I loved every minute I spent with you. Time always went too quickly. I still love the story of when you were at the same table as Al Capone. I'm sorry that my daughter will never meet you. I'm sorry I haven't seen you in so long. I am sorry that I wasn't with you when you passed. Just the other day I was thinking that it has been such a rough year it was time for something good to happen. Guess God is one cold son of a bitch! I was planning on writing you a letter this weekend while the kids were away. You said you always loved getting them, that I was so open. Only to you. I'm going to try to stay sober and just deal with this. Really. I'm sorry but I don't think I'll make it to your party. Only you would have a party planned after your funeral. When I heard her voice I knew what had happened. I'm glad that the two of you were able to reconcile. She sounded so calm. I guess she's been expecting it. Thank you for your love, patience, kindness, advice, acceptance, warmth, strength and wisdom. I will always love you, I'll do my best to make you proud and I'll try to teach my kids all that you taught me. You were beautiful. Good bye Grandma.
MiA's ShAkEn NoT StiRReD BLoG
5 years ago
11 comments:
May God bless your grandmother, and I will keep you in my thoughts.
Sends a big hug ... you really are a lovely person Jane, quirks, hurts, boots and all. I'll be thinking about you.
Jane,
I'm so sorry you lost your Grandma. She sounds like an awesome lady. Your blog for her was wonderful and touching. Thanks for sharing a little bit of her with us.
Keeping you in my prayers.
-ko
Jane,
I know your grandmother can hear you and she knows what's in your heart. I believe in the afterlife.
I was younger when I lost my grandmother. I didn't have the kind of relationship that you had, and wish I did. It sounds truly wonderful.
What a wonderful idea to have a party. She sounds like she was truly an amazing woman.
I truly hope that God lifts your pain and brings smiles to your heart w/ all the wonderful memories you have... may they fill your lonely days and nights when you are needing and missing her. May you feel the warmth of her touch when you need it most.... and don't worry she'll see your children as they get older. Always remember that.
Ohhh Jane,i dont know what to say. I am very sorry for your loss. I hope you will feel better with time. But from experience i know it might take a lot of time.
i here for you if u need me, please feel free to email me.
I dont know what to say. I really hate year 2007, really, so much!!!
Try to concentrate on smth else and let your emotions go.
I am sorry, god bless her.
Everyone thank you for your thoughts and condolences. I've been alone all weekend and you've been my only solace and comfort.
I just called Grandma's house to speak to her daughter and no one answered and the machine picked up. Her voice....it sent me into tears. And now I feel like I forgot everything I knew about her--where she was born, where she grew up, what her middle name was. I don't know what I am doing anymore and I don't know what to do with myself. All I know is nothing will be the same, nothing will be as good.
No matter how awful I felt or whatever terrible thing was going on I always felt better after talking to her. Now that is gone. She's the one who was thrilled when I came out as gay, the one who thought it was terrific when I became a single mother, the one I smoked pot with, who asked my opinion on world events and humanitarian issues. She always made me feel special. I think she made everyone feel that way. She made me feel smart and beautiful and capable.
All weekend I have periods of being ok and then not ok. It seems as long as I am alone and busy I don't hurt so bad. But the minute the phone rings and I speak tears begin and my throat closes up. All I want is to obliterate this awareness and be numb but my stupid fucking consciousness won't leave me alone. Whenever I see another person, whether I know them or not, I want to say, "Grandma died." But I stop myself. The first thought I have when I wake is "She's gone."
I wish I was still a drinker.
I am sorry to hear that you lost your grandma. I read the whole post, and was sad to find that there weren't any lines of prayers. People who have passed away need prayers more than anything, as that decides if a souls eternal place. May God Bless her and may she rest in peace.
Jane,
I can imagine how hard it is. If only i know what to suggest, there is no a common way to get over the sorrow. Ppl find their own way. My sis was like u, she was telling everyone that "dad died", i on the conterary didnt want anyone to know about my loose.
I still listening to his voice on my cell phone, where he sings the song composed for me, its very hard to listed, it cause me tears but i still listen to it.
I am really sorry for your loss. I wish i could be a bit of help.
Take care, dear Jane, everything will be ok.
Nabeel,
Thank you for your kind words. I am not one who believes much in prayer and if you knew my grandma you'd know she wouldn't have it any other way. Any prayer I'd say for her would be meaningless. I can only send her my love and wishes for peace and relief from pain.
Puppy,
I know you of all others knows what I am going through right now. I loved this woman profoundly. I was closer to her than anyone other than Jd and my kids. I've been telling you that you aren't alone and now you know you really aren't. I suffer with you now. We are sisters through pain.
Oh Jane I am so deeply sorry for your loss. You were both blessed to have met in this life. I'm sure it wont be the last time your paths cross. Even though she is gone she really isn't. Every time you think about her she'll live again even if it's just for a moment she'll always be a part of who you are. Love ya babe, if you need me holla.
How r u?
Post a Comment