It seems my boy is finally turning the corner on whatever was making him so violently ill. It has been a hell of a few days. It started last Friday. Early on it appeared to be the normal flu but by the end of the day he was in really bad shape. He could not walk or even stand up. He was not able to get to the bathroom without being carried he was so weak. It was pretty frightening.
So Friday evening we took him to the clinic and they ran test after test after test and gave him IV fluids. He seemed to perk up a bit after that and started talking a bit again. Saturday he seemed more like himself, just tired. But then Sunday happened. He slept from 8pm Saturday night until 11:30am Sunday morning when I woke him. Again he could not get out of bed. At times he was too tired to speak. All day he drifted in and out of sleep. He would not eat. We only managed to get him to drink by telling him that if he didn't he would have to have another IV.
Yesterday he woke up on his own and asked for a drink right away. He was awake much more, although still tired. He ate bread and crackers and seemed to be improving again. I thought he would return to school today. After consideration his dad and I decided to keep him home one more day, just so he could rest. It's a good thing we did. He started vomiting again during lunch. We think it is probably because he woke up and ate yogurt before we could stop him and that his stomach just wasn't ready for it. This evening he seems fine. He ate toast and crackers, drank plenty of pedialyte solution.
I don't think there is anything worse for a mother than when one of her children are sick. I don't sleep well and in the back of my mind I am always worried about the worst case scenario. It was recently my birthday and Jd and I had been planning to go out and celebrate this weekend. Of course we stayed home with our son. Everyone kept saying, "What a shame. Not much of a birthday for you, not such a good way to celebrate." It's funny....that's not how I thought about it. I thought, "Thank goodness. This could have been so much worse. I could have spent my birthday in the hospital watching over my son."
The doctors never did come up with a diagnosis for him. Every test he had came back negative. They said it was a virus. That's what they always say when they don't know what it really was.
Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers. It meant so much to me. Thank you.
MiA's ShAkEn NoT StiRReD BLoG
5 years ago
8 comments:
I am glad to hear your son is getting better.
Good news, glad to hear he is on the mend. Be sure to keep giving him fluids, and check his urine. It should start to clear and be odorless. 100% Cranberry juices are great for the renal system.
Our youngest was in a bubble for a week when he was two. I fully understand your concern.
and .... happy belated Birthday! Congratulations on another trip around the sun ......
I am glad that he is better now. It is ugly when doctors fail to identify the real cause. I can totally understand your worry as a mother... try not to let your mind thing of "worst case scenario" though!
And Happy Birthday, try to enjoy it next weekend. ;)
thanks for update...
was looking for it
I am glad he is feeling better.
I am so glad that do hear he's doing better. Hopefully it was a one shot thing. Happy happy belated b'day Jane. May this year be all you desire.
Glad to hear the boy is better. Those "viruses" can be pretty mysterious things.
Oh Jane,
I am so sorry i was not around to at least put in a word of support..
I am glad your son is better now. My son suffered the same symptoms as yours. I think that was two or three weeks ago. He was vomitting, had a high fever, diarrhoea, and was fainting. He stayed like this for about four days in a row, then gradually got better thank God.. It was terrible.. I feel for you and yes i do agree it is the worst thing when a mother has a sick child..
Viruses are unpredictable now! It is scary...
Post a Comment