Ahhh...America. Several centuries ago people began to come and colonize in the hopes of having freedom that they did not know in their homelands. Such lovely idealistic dreams. Where do I go to find freedom that I don't know in my homeland?
America is the land of the free, UNLESS:
1. You want to have private phone calls
2. You want to smoke a cigarette in public
3. You want the right to disagree with your government without being labeled an enemy combatant
4. You want the government to keep out of your sex life
5. You want to be able to choose to die with dignity if you are terminally ill
6. You want to practice an non-Judeo-Christian religion without being hassled
7. You or your family is from the middle east or if you are Muslim...hell, even if you just LOOK like you are either
MiA's ShAkEn NoT StiRReD BLoG
5 years ago
9 comments:
Jane, i have to tell that I am shocked from what you wrote, particularly (1, 3, 4)
I always believe that American citizens have the freedom rigt to say their opinions loud and clear with complete freedom and no hurt at all.
MAybe because of what i saw in some TV programs when they were questioning the US presidents and the former presidents as well about certain acts.
so 1 , 3 and 4 made feel like not as much freedom as i thought.
Still the greatest place on the planet, and in the history of world to be.
GOD BLESS THE USA!
Perfect ... NO! Institutionaly homophobic ... NO! Anti-Muslim ... NO, but very aware of Muslim hate foreign and domestic for the ideals of our Nation and our way of life. They would destroy at the drop of a hat, every liberty and freedom that we have earnestly tried to cultivate!
No .... GOD BLESS AMERICA, God bless her scars, her ugliness, her slowness ....... but, most of all GOD BLESS HER for all she is, has been, and will be again.
Jane,
I am really impressed to find an American citizen admitting this.
Anyway every place has its pros and cons, there is no such thing as UTOPIA.
Jane I didnt nkow about the cigarette thing?
Jane, you bring it to the point! If I am not mistaken Florida has even sricter freedoms. How do you feel?
hey... no place is the perfect place.. lol it is one earth after all, humans are the same species... All those in governemt postitions are becoming obsessed, control freeks!
Really, injustice is becoming a world wide trend... name the worst features in human nature and u will find them in those who are in positions of rulers, presidents and gov. or army positions! by the way, i am not generalizing but i mean the higher percentages.. It is not in me to generalize anyway!
Jane,
Democracy is a constant struggle between government & its appetite for power & citizens & civil society with their appetite for individual freedom. America has come further down that road than most countries in the world. Compared to others you are very fortunate.
I've said many times that I love my country and I do. But I hate what control freaks and big government have done to it. Yes we have more freedom here than in 99% of the world but I want more. I am a sentient adult and I think I can be trusted to make decisions for myself, whether that be to smoke a joint or end my life if I have incurable cancer. If I want to spend my life with a woman I should get the same benefits as heterosexual married couples do from the government--anything else is discrimination. If I convert to Islam I should have the right to do so without the fear of my phone being tapped or my calls monitored. I am not an idiot. I do not want nor do I need the government to decide what is best for me.
Aisha, in many places in the US one cannot smoke in restaurants or even bars anymore. Some places are making it illegal to even smoke on the beach or in a park. I've even heard that some cities are trying to ban smoking in private apartments, no joke.
The Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness plan is still being offered. It just has a higher deductable, and reduced coverage due to people that don't play well with others!
Seriously though. I do not mind the wire tapping on face value. My problem is with the interpretation of the information being recorded. How often have you written or said something that people have taken totaly out of context, and inserted their own erroneous assumptions.
Also, given this administrations refusal to give people the right of due process, I am doubley concerned at where this all leads, when assumptions are made. Which, in order for this tapping to be effective, they must.
I am totally 100% with you on the Right of Choice, Right of Death, and equality of ALL marriages.
Post a Comment