8.14.2006

Last night I watched a "60 Minutes" interview with the president of Iran. It was very enlightening. Ahmadinejad is quite a curious character. He comes across as intelligent and seems to want to appear rational and reasonable. He reminds me of a wolf. His answers were evasive, cunning--he never allowed himself to get caught in a verbal corner and he never really answered a single question. It was obvious that underneath his pleasant demeanor and smiles lie something very different. At one point he was giving advice to GW, telling him to "love the people" (of other countries and presumably his own). Now I've never been shy about my opinions of GW Bush. I don't like him or his politics. However I nearly laughed when I heard Ahmadinejad saying this. This coming from a man whose country cruelly punishes and executes their people. Public hangings, stonings, whippings....it's like something out of the middle ages. Adultery is a crime punishable by death as is homosexuality. From what I've read men are the ones most often executed for homosexual acts and women are killed most often for adultery. Un-f*ckingbelievable. Perhaps President Ahmadinejad should take his own advice, yes?

4 comments:

Aisha said...

Its interesting b/c I got something different out of the interview. This is very eye opening for me because we both watched the same show but had different outlooks on it. I do agree with you his responses were very "politician-like"

Just Jane said...

I stand by my statement...underneath his pleasant demeanor and smiles lie something very different. Just examine what is going on in Iran. For example:
"Holocaust cartoon fair opens in Iran"
TEHRAN (AFP) - An international contest of cartoons on the Holocaust opened in Tehran in response to the publication in Western papers last September of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.
"We staged this fair to explore the limits of freedom Westerners believe in," Masoud Shojai, head of the country's "Iran Cartoon" association and the fair organizer, said....Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has also prompted international anger by dismissing the Holocaust as a "myth" used to justify the creation of Israel.

Hey, now I am all for free speech but some things are just in bad taste and this is certainly one of them. How can one compare the slaughter of five million people to anything else? How can anyone find humor in the torture and murder of others? Who the fuck cares what ethnicity or religion they were? First and foremost they were people. Anyone who defends or attempts to justify this action has a cold heart in my opinion.

This will only serve to increase tension and hatred among peoples. It disgusts me and only brings shame on Iran.

I may take some flak from the Arab and Muslim community for this opinion. Bring it on. Anyone who has read my blog or gotten to know me will know that I would denounce this type of behavior from anyone whether they be American or Israeli or Muslim or whatever.

Emory Mayne said...

Yes.

President Ahmadinejad has severe economic troubles within Iran. I

am not even going to touch the 6th century society the Islamic "de-evolution" has established. The ideological differences between the West and Iran are so severe, that I am resigned to World War III. I can see it like a great grey ghost.

It will urn the world around us, leaving the world in cinders and setting mankind back 100 years.

Very, very depressing.

I am sorry, I know how you hate such talk. I am very worried.wq

Um Naief said...

You are very keen my dear! I get the same feelings from this man. They haven't aired this show yet, but I'm dying to see it. And so true, so true what you say about Iran and the way they kill ppl. Same stuff in Saudi. Thank goodness it's not here, but still feels like the stone ages sometimes. In Saudi they cut off your hands if you are caught stealing! Some of the extremists here have wanted to change the laws so that Bahrain does the same! Can you imagine!!!???